11.12.08

My birthday on Papua

I didn't really do much to celebrate my birthday, but I was shocked that it has come so quickly, and that means 2008 is ending really soon and that makes me feel like time is going by really fast.  Right now it's the night of December 11th  (at least that's what time it is on Papua) and the past twenty four hours  of being twenty four have been great. I'm liking it.
The adventure started in the shopping center parking lot, late last night. A Tarantula was crossing the pavement, and so was I. I almost walked into him, but my friend Bayu saved my life. Maybe I should be feeling old, because my days are definitely numbered. I'm doomed to be attacked and have my face bitten off my skull bones by some giant spider in this jungly little town. 


Thankfully my birthday was not that day, and I have proof . After Bayu saved me from the spider, I chased it down to take its picture. I was so brave that I realized in that moment that I am not afraid of spiders. Something is definitely wrong with me, but it's more complicated than arachnophobia. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that something is wrong w/ you and it's more complicated than arachnaphobia. However, I am glad you had a good b-day.

You will miss these long, but short, summer days when you get back to the states. What is strange about equatorial days is that the pace is slow, but the light ends early.

Right now I am on a lake in Wisconsin studying away. It is brilliantly cold- hard to even look outside.

I really miss young coconut. So delicious. Do you eat the meat out? It's so good.... don't let the Indonesians ruin it by pouring in their sugary syrup.

Finally, batik= amazing. Please get me as many as you can. Laos has great textiles too.

Nighthawk said...

Miss you both!-Mona Lisa's dad