Got to school to find that this whole week is booked with student exams, so I'm out my normal schedule. I helped my teacher counterpart with some grading and looked over some English test questions... but by the early afternoon, I was free.
I'd bought The Economist on Java, and so I perfed it over to the Papua Café in the center of town. I rarely go there, but I thought it would be nice to sit and read somewhere outside my box-house. Espresso please. And a Lemon Squash. What a great way to spend the afternoon.
Finished reading up on world happenings, I biked home and took a little nap.
Little naps are never actually little for me. They just start out that way, and proceed uninterrupted through alarm clocks, phone calls - unintelligible conversations that I don't remember having, and tropical rainstorms.
Three hours later...
Wake up and it's dark out. In groggy wake up state I cannot think clearly enough to read a 24-hour clock, so for the first few minutes, I really have no idea what time it is. Where am I? Papua That happens a lot when I wake up. It's not that I think I'm somewhere else, I just forget where I am.
Now that I remember I'm in Indonesia and I remember that 20:07 means something like 8pm,
I need to do something productive. Still sleepy. So I make a little pot of kopi Bandung called Aroma... it's well named. That is some strong stuff.
An hour later the caffinated kick hit me, and I went outside to find a tree to karate chop or some other way to creatively burn off steam. Nighttime in Kuala Kencana offers little. I walked around and over to the mouth of the jungle trak. It sounds incredible at night - jungle bug sounds. I stepped inside. Even though it's dark, there are lights along the path. Just as I was standing there, wishing I could just wander through the wild woods, I looked down. Huge spider. Right there. And her little man-friend spider boy was right there with her, sharing their little webby abode.
There are already so many good reasons not to wander through the jungle at night. I'm such a visual learner.
This morning I went back to the spot where they were. And the big lady banana spider jumped on my face and bit out my eyes. Actually she just sat there, but that's what I thought was going to happen.
And here they are, Mrs Big Fat Banana Spider and Mr Tiny Little Banana Spider. They're about three times that size in real life, but you get the idea. Hati-hati, ya? (careful!)

3 comments:
Ok, there have been many times that you have walked into spiders. For instance, orb weaver, dutch road. Now the banana spider has seen you twice and is making a plan to attack you while sleeping. Why you no learn to hari-hari?
therefore i shall never sleep again.
i'm so glad your eyes didn't actually get bit out. almost scared me there!
Post a Comment