So it's been two months, 1/3 of the way through with my short stay in Bangalore. I thought I was going to learn a lot of different things.. different from the things I have learned.
One thing that fell off the plate somewhere along the way, is learning Kannada. I imagined I'd get books, and listen to podcasts, and make everyone speak to me in Kannada.
Guess what? Not everyone speaks Kannada.
India's linguistic diversity makes it difficult to learn any language, I'm stuck here trying to decide between them...
But the real problem is that almost everyone I interact with on a regular basis (the watchman is one major exception) are fluent English speakers, and that is why it's not happening. English is expected, and people have enough of it to get by.
I don't know very much Kannada, but what little bit of language do I know?
I know how to say hello, namaskara - it sounds like namaste.
And presented here phonetically, Doktor Atra Haugi - roughly, "the doctor will see you now".
38 million native speakers, plus another 9 million... worldwide, but mostly there, in the yellow. Bangalore is smack in the middle of that yellow splotch of Kannada-speakers, but it's a huge IT center, a cosmopolitain city whose citizens come from all over the world, and all across India.
I don't know much Kannada, but what I do know is telling. "The doctor will see you now"- I use this on Mondays with at the clinic, when I fill prescriptions and send patients back to the doctor for instructions.
When I'm at the clinic, we're outside an urban slum area, serving a population I don't encounter in the rest of my life here. These are the people in South India who don't speak English, maybe not even Hindi... we are inaccessible to each other because of these language barriers. Classes here are divided along linguistic lines, which means that the movies we watch are different, the radio stations and TV, the newspapers - it's all different. I see this when I'm walking down the street, I notice that people dress differently along class lines. The fashions are very telling - it's easy to guess a person's class and education by their choice of dress, the way they do their hair.
Young at heart
-
I think I'll always be young at heart. A tent over my bead, bright colors,
song and dance, banners. I hope this never stops.


No comments:
Post a Comment