15.3.10

Quite Amazing

Friday I had my first observation on the Operation Theatre. I watched a C-section delivery of twins. I was so afraid that I would pass out or throw up or something, but everything went fine (not only for me, but for the mom and new babies).

One of the great parts of observing with this doctor is that he takes time to explain things as he's going along. Two med students were also observing, and a new doctor was assisting, so he spent a lot of time explaining what he was doing.

A few incisions are made, hands go inside... and out comes a little person! Incredible.

I'd never seen inside a person before, I was worried I'd be sick, or grossed out, and there goes my career plan. People come in layers (like ogres and onions), and the inside is vibrant. During the operation, the skins around the incision looked gray, like the inside was the real person, and that outer layer was just holding it together.

After the babies and the placenta were delivered, the uterus was small enough to hold in one hand, it shrunk down so quickly - crazy to think that only a minute ago, that little purply bag was holding two tiny people, and everything needed to sustain them.

I still haven't seen a traditional birth, but I've seen a lot of pregnant women in the last few weeks, heard their complaints, seen their husband's worried/happy/confused faces, and the relief that comes with a healthy delivery.

A few hours after the C-Section, I accompanied Dr. SK on rounds, and we stopped in to see the three of them. Mom was pretty out of it, but some of the family was there, including great grandma, holding one of the little boys.

The other little one was significantly underweight, and in a tiny crib next to his mom's bed. There was a small blanket  hung from a rod, making a tent over the crib, and a heating lamp inside. I peeked in, and the littler brother was lying on his back, glowing orange under the light, sleeping like a baby chick.

2 comments:

prema said...

How wonderful you got to see the babies being delivered. There is something about birth that makes us all so philosophical. Is it not sad that all of so much of what differentiates us from each other is ultimately only a superficial layer covering our body? Amazing.

rebecca said...

ps. I just did a little English to Metric conversion and realized that those babies were 1.8 & 2.8 kg.... together equaling about how much i weighed at birth

Wow.